Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Bikram Yoga?
Bikram Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional hatha yoga techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s. All Bikram Yoga classes run for 90 minutes and consist of the same series of 26 postures, including two breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105 °F with a humidity of 40%. All Bikram classes are officially only taught by Bikram certified teachers, who have completed nine weeks of intensive training endorsed by Bikram. Bikram certified teachers taught a standardized dialogue to run the class, but are encouraged to develop their teaching skills the longer they teach. This results in varying deliveries and distinct teaching styles.
- How do I prepare for a Bikram Yoga class?
Preparing for a yoga class requires a few easy steps. Here is exactly what to do:
This yoga class is best done on an empty stomach. Being well hydrated is also advised.
- Do not eat for at least 1-2 hours prior to class. If you eat close to class time (1 hour prior), choose light foods such as fruit and yogurt. Heavier foods should be consumed 2+ hours before class begins.
- Drink plenty of water the day of class. It’s advised to minimize water intake the hour prior to class to allow the bladder to be empty when class starts.
- If you’re coming in the early morning, hydrate well the night before.
What to Bring
You’ll need just a few things to participate in class.
- A yoga mat towel or full-size bath towel for practice
- A yoga mat
- A water bottle (we have free filtered water for refills)
- A second full-size towel if you plan to shower after class
Note: You can rent towels and mats at our studio.
What to Wear
The room is hot and you will sweat a lot! It’s best to wear clothes designed for this type of environment, avoiding cotton or fabrics that become heavy when wet. Wear the least amount of clothing you are comfortable in. Clothes that offer a snug fit are best as they allow for optimal movement while also maintaining coverage. It’s also advisable to wear clothes that will allow you to see your knee in the front mirror!
- Women: Yoga shorts or crop pants, yoga bra or sports top
- Men: Snug-fitting shorts
- Note: please refrain from wearing scents or perfumes to class.
New Students: Please try to arrive at the studio 20 minutes before class time for registration and orientation.
- Getting to the studio
BYFC is located in the West End Shopping Plaza, on the second floor. Parking is free, but parking rules are strictly enforced and it is best to park in the rear of the building or on the neighborhood side streets to avoid towing.
Our address is: 1073 West Broad Street, Suite 213, Falls Church, Virginia 22046.
If you have any questions just give us a call at (703) 536-9642. We are happy to help!
- Do you offer class packages or monthly memberships?
- What is your refund policy?
BYFC has a No Refund policy on student memberships or class packages. For assistance regarding an issue with your purchase, please speak to a BYFC staff member at the front desk. We are happy to assist you!
- I have a Groupon. How do I redeem it?
We welcome all Groupon customers and you can easily redeem it at our studio. Please print or have the Groupon available on your mobile device and check in at the front desk.